Nearly half of greenhouse gas emissions in Canada come from our homes. They can be smarter than that.
We want our homes to be comfortable, safe, clean, healthy and to have the smallest environmental footprint as possible. That’s why consumers, homebuilders, homeowners, property managers, REALTORS®, governments and schools are all focusing on building homes and buildings that serve people better.
CREB® HomeSmarts is working with REALTORS®, buyers, sellers and partners to:
- Factor the efficiency and healthiness of a home into the transaction
- Reduce the environmental impact of Calgary and area homes
- Make your HomeSmarts home more marketable
- Make it easier to find a home that fits your values
Your REALTOR® can use green features as part of your property search within the MLS® Listings – enabling you to see only those homes with energy efficient features such as:
- Water (low flow plumbing)
- Energy (lights, furnace, thermostat)
- Appliances (energy star)
- EnerGuide-rated homes
Government of Alberta agency dedicated to helping the province save energy, featuring:
- Home Efficiency Tool – determine how much power and money you can save by upgrading lighting, electronics and appliances throughout your home
- Lighting Tool – Find out the difference between LED, CFL, Halogen, and Incandescent bulbs—and which is best for your home
- The Residential and Commercial Solar Program – Offers rebates to homeowners, businesses and non-profits that install solar photovoltaic (PV) systems.
- Online Rebates – Ready to replace your outdated refrigerator or clothes washer with an energy-efficient model or upgrade to a smart thermostat?
- Home Improvement Rebates – Work with a participating Alberta contractor to increase your at-home energy efficiency with improved insulation, upgraded windows and tankless water heaters—all at a great discount.
This Program provides building managers and condominium associations with a rebate for upgrading an existing toilet to a Water-Sense labelled, high efficiency toilet.
In the market for a new home? Talk to your builder about the energy performance of your home and ask for an EnerGuide rating, and choose a new home with high EnerGuide rating and save on your utility bills.
An EnerGuide home evaluation is a service designed to help homeowners increase the energy-efficienc and comfort of their homes. An EnerGuide evaluation provides useful information about your home’s energy performance that can help you make informed decisions when operating, renovating or purchasing a home.
CMHC Mortgage Loan Insurance helps lenders offer borrowers more affordable financing choices when purchasing an energy-efficient home or purchasing an existing home and making energy-efficient improvements.